Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

NM Transformation Log

Thanks everyone!

I prep everything for 6-7 days on Wednesday. The seasoning is store brand pizza seasoning from Fresh Thyme Farmers Market. It's basically oregano, basil, majoram, thyme, garlic, and crushed red pepper. It's my first time using it so we'll see how it goes!
How did that seasoning go?

PHARMACOM BOARD REP
please PM me for inquiries

Just got done doing abs and some cardio. Weighed in at 151 lbs this morning. That's quite a drop from last week so I'm guessing I lost some water weight from getting my sodium in check. Haven't had any vision sides from the s4 yet but it has been less than a week since I started. Chest/tri tomorrow hoping to see some strength increases I'll be uping the weight on my flat bench.

It's probably just from your initial weight loss going into a calorie deficit. I can have a 4-6lb swing within a couple days, then it stabilizes and moves more appropriately slow. For example I started this week at 178.6 and was 174.4 this morning. I literally waited to track my weight for a week because of this and just started tracking this morning.

Good to know. I was hoping I wouldn't continue to drop weight that fast. I want to lose fat but in a healthy manner and replace it with muscle while doing so if possible.

Hit chest/tris today. Was able to get the 45s up for 8 reps on my last set of flat bench DB press. Been craving some not clean meals today. Keep thinking about the nachos this little dinner by house makes. Eating chicken broccoli and sweet potato right now to kill my craving lol.

Just got back from back day at the gym. Hit 205 for 10 reps on deadlifts, pretty happy with that though with how easy I was able to pull it I think I could pull a lot more. I am going to shoot for 225 next week. Idk if I have always been under estimating my strength or if the s4 is really starting to kick in. Here is what my full workout looked like:

Deadlift - 4 sets (10/165,10/185,10/195,10/205)
WG Lat pulldown - 4 sets (10/105,10/110,10/110,8/120)
HS mts curl - 4 sets (10/40,9/45,8/45,8/45)
HS low row - 4 sets (10/45,10/50,10/50,8/50)
High pulley curl(the one from dylans bicep training video) - 4 sets (10/10,10/15,10/15,8/15)
Bench DB row - 4 sets (10/50,10/50,9/50,8/50)
Machine curl drop set 5 sec rest between sets - 4 sets (9/100,7/90,9/80,8/65)
10 minutes stead state cardio followed by 5 minutes of hiit 30 secs all out/30 sec slow pace (had me sweating like a pig).

I plan on switching it up for legs tomorrow and changing my squat routine to try and hit some heavier weight. I've been stuck at about 145lbs for 10 reps. Gonna try something like this:

Squat warm up - 4 sets (10/65,5/95,5/135,1/155)
Squat - 2 sets (6/155,6/155)

I'll continue my leg routine as normal after this.

Always looking for suggestions and advice on how to improve.

Congrats on the progress and strength gains. S4 will definitely give you some additional strength and I would certainly take full advantage of it.

Couple of comments/suggestions. I realize everyone is different and these are just my personal opinions based on my own personal experience through the years.

1.) I have found it easier to make "strength gains" on deadlifts and squats working in the 5-7 Rep range. The strength I gain on these lifts carries over to other exercise which allows me to move "more volume" translating to muscle growth. If you can do 4 sets of Deadlifts for 10 reps each set, you aren't lifting enough weight IMO and selling yourself short. Deadlifts aren't IMO a high rep exercise. Perhaps, pyramid up in weight like you have been, but decrease the reps. On the last set, really push yourself. Something like this maybe:

Deadlifts - 10/165, 195/8, 225/6, 245/4-6 - Seek to add 5lbs each workout to each of the last 2 sets. I think you will be surprised how fast your lifts progress.

2.) Personally, I would replace some of the machine/assisted exercises and replace them with TBAR Rows/Bent Over BB Rows, EZBAR/BB Curl or Some type of DB Curls.

3.) I really like your Squat warm up set up. I use the same format. I would do more than 2 working sets at 155/6. If you can do 145 for 10 reps, I think you selling yourself short by doing 2 sets at 155/6. Just my opinion.

Good work and nice progress bro

I agree you've done great in your strength increases already. #2 of ironlifters suggestion I definitely like... I hate machine dumbell curls I find them odd and feel a better workout with both the barbell and dumbells.

Congrats on the progress and strength gains. S4 will definitely give you some additional strength and I would certainly take full advantage of it.

Couple of comments/suggestions. I realize everyone is different and these are just my personal opinions based on my own personal experience through the years.

1.) I have found it easier to make "strength gains" on deadlifts and squats working in the 5-7 Rep range. The strength I gain on these lifts carries over to other exercise which allows me to move "more volume" translating to muscle growth. If you can do 4 sets of Deadlifts for 10 reps each set, you aren't lifting enough weight IMO and selling yourself short. Deadlifts aren't IMO a high rep exercise. Perhaps, pyramid up in weight like you have been, but decrease the reps. On the last set, really push yourself. Something like this maybe:

Deadlifts - 10/165, 195/8, 225/6, 245/4-6 - Seek to add 5lbs each workout to each of the last 2 sets. I think you will be surprised how fast your lifts progress.

2.) Personally, I would replace some of the machine/assisted exercises and replace them with TBAR Rows/Bent Over BB Rows, EZBAR/BB Curl or Some type of DB Curls.

3.) I really like your Squat warm up set up. I use the same format. I would do more than 2 working sets at 155/6. If you can do 145 for 10 reps, I think you selling yourself short by doing 2 sets at 155/6. Just my opinion.

Good work and nice progress bro

Thank you for the insight man. I'll put your suggestions into practice for my next training day and I'll definitely add another set or 2 for my squats Would you suggest the 6-7 rep range for all compound exercises like flat bench dumb bell press for chest and seated db shoulder press for shoulders?

I agree you've done great in your strength increases already. #2 of ironlifters suggestion I definitely like... I hate machine dumbell curls I find them odd and feel a better workout with both the barbell and dumbells.

Thank you!

I like the machines for the pump and squeeze I can get on them but I'm really starting to notice I don't gain as much strength from them. Gonna go back to DBs/BB for curls starting Thursday.

New protein came in. Just tried it for my pre-bed shake and its pretty awesome. Big thanks to dylan for suggesting Truenutrition!

Protein.jpg

The barebells and dumbells will definetly improve your overall strength more then machines! Imho they should be the base of every workoout!! Machines are great to add in but never replace the iron!!! How many grams of sugar in your protein? How's the taste?

The barebells and dumbells will definetly improve your overall strength more then machines! Imho they should be the base of every workoout!! Machines are great to add in but never replace the iron!!! How many grams of sugar in your protein? How's the taste?

Only 2gs of sugar per serving but it does have stevia in it. The taste is good. It's not super sweet like most other brand protein powders but it's definitely not bland. You can actually choose the intensity of the flavor on their website which is pretty cool. Its overall macros are (F:1,C:2,P:25).

Thank you for the insight man. I'll put your suggestions into practice for my next training day and I'll definitely add another set or 2 for my squats Would you suggest the 6-7 rep range for all compound exercises like flat bench dumb bell press for chest and seated db shoulder press for shoulders?

I generally use the big lifts (Squat, Deadlift, BB Bench or DB, and Shoulder Press) to measure my progression. These are the heavy compound lifts. Remember the term "heavy" is relative meaning what is heavy to me may not be to you. Regardless, these lifts should be heavy to you. Not heavy as in 1 Rep power lifting, but light enough so you can do at least 5, but heavy enough where doing 8 is challenging. Since heavy lifting is taxing on the central nervous system, I usually leave 1 rep in the tank. If I go to failure of these lifts, I fry my CNS and the rest of my workout is shit.

I use several approaches when working with these lifts, but basically my working sets are in a lower rep range (5-8). I really try to focus on adding more weight to these lifts and as I said, find it easier to do so in a lower rep range. I don't do 1 Rep maxes or even 2- 3 Rep..that's more power lifting. Let's say your goal is to add 50lbs to your deadlift in 6 months, it will be much easier to make progression/strength gains in the 5-8 Rep range. 50lbs on the deadlift in 6 months is very attainable, that's only 9 pounds a month or 2.5pounds per week. In fact, I am willing to bet if you are feeding your body the energy it needs, you could exceed 50 pounds in 6 months. Same with squat. Both the squat and deadlift are involving large muscle groups so the gains will come faster on these lifts. Same concept applies to the Shoulder Press and Bench-DB or BB.

I either do straight sets - Deadlift Example : 345x7, 345x6, 345x5

OR

Pyramid Sets - DB Shoulder Press Example : 60x8, 65x8, 70x(5-8)

I structure my workouts around the big lifts. All the other exercises are normally in the 8-12 or 10-12 rep range.

I generally use the big lifts (Squat, Deadlift, BB Bench or DB, and Shoulder Press) to measure my progression. These are the heavy compound lifts. Remember the term "heavy" is relative meaning what is heavy to me may not be to you. Regardless, these lifts should be heavy to you. Not heavy as in 1 Rep power lifting, but light enough so you can do at least 5, but heavy enough where doing 8 is challenging. Since heavy lifting is taxing on the central nervous system, I usually leave 1 rep in the tank. If I go to failure of these lifts, I fry my CNS and the rest of my workout is shit.

I use several approaches when working with these lifts, but basically my working sets are in a lower rep range (5-8). I really try to focus on adding more weight to these lifts and as I said, find it easier to do so in a lower rep range. I don't do 1 Rep maxes or even 2- 3 Rep..that's more power lifting. Let's say your goal is to add 50lbs to your deadlift in 6 months, it will be much easier to make progression/strength gains in the 5-8 Rep range. 50lbs on the deadlift in 6 months is very attainable, that's only 9 pounds a month or 2.5pounds per week. In fact, I am willing to bet if you are feeding your body the energy it needs, you could exceed 50 pounds in 6 months. Same with squat. Both the squat and deadlift are involving large muscle groups so the gains will come faster on these lifts. Same concept applies to the Shoulder Press and Bench-DB or BB.

I either do straight sets - Deadlift Example : 345x7, 345x6, 345x5

OR

Pyramid Sets - DB Shoulder Press Example : 60x8, 65x8, 70x(5-8)

I structure my workouts around the big lifts. All the other exercises are normally in the 8-12 or 10-12 rep range.

Awesome man. Thank you for the layout, I'm gonna run with some different variations of this and see how it goes. I was already able to get my squat weight up today using the 6 rep range.

Hit legs today and did 30 minutes of cardio instead of abs. My core is still sore from Sunday so I might hit it later today or tomorrow. Todays workout looked as follows:

Squat warm up - 4 sets (10/65,8/95,5/135,1/155)
Squat - 4 sets (6/155,6/165,6/165,5/165)
Leg press calf raise - 4 sets (20/90,18/90,15/90,15/90)
Leg press single leg - 4 sets (10/90,10/90,10/90,10/90)
Lying leg curl single leg - 4 sets (10/40,10/40,10/40,8/40)
Seated leg extension single leg - 4 sets (10/40,10/45,10/50,10/55)

I've been hitting legs separately lately because my right leg is a lot bigger than my left leg. Probably due to years of skateboarding and my right leg being my dominate leg. I'm gonna throw in DB lunges and step ups next week to try and switch things up a little bit.

Awesome man. Thank you for the layout, I'm gonna run with some different variations of this and see how it goes. I was already able to get my squat weight up today using the 6 rep range.

Just saw your workout post come up. Bro, you killed those squats..165 for 6...congrats. Once you come out of a calorie deficit and go into maintenance or a slight surplus, I think you will really start to see your strength go up. Ya, heavy compounds is the key, whether it's straight sets, pyramid or reverse pyramid is all personal preference. There is no wrong or right way. Good exercise selection on the remaining. I do those single leg leg presses as well. Good luck on those DB lunges...those make me want to throw up more than anything else. I do them anyways, but find no enjoyment in it.

Just saw your workout post come up. Bro, you killed those squats..165 for 6...congrats. Once you come out of a calorie deficit and go into maintenance or a slight surplus, I think you will really start to see your strength go up. Ya, heavy compounds is the key, whether it's straight sets, pyramid or reverse pyramid is all personal preference. There is no wrong or right way. Good exercise selection on the remaining. I do those single leg leg presses as well. Good luck on those DB lunges...those make me want to throw up more than anything else. I do them anyways, but find no enjoyment in it.

Thanks man! lol I haven't done lunges in a while for that exact reason. Simple exercise but it will kick your ass haha

Top Bottom