napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Does light cardio after workout destroy gains?

DanTheMan

Ok, this could be a stupid question, but you all know how much BS there is online about weightlifting and gaining muscle.

Now, I need to add some cardio to loose some BF, the problem is time.

When do I have time? Right after working out, especially now after intensifying my workouts with shorter rests between sets. I actually like the feeling of doing some 30 min of light cardio (around 140bpm pulse) after a workout for several reasons. It loses up my body a little, making me feel more relaxed. I also feel that its a great time to down my protein shake since it tends to make my stomach a bit bloated, but if I take it while doing light cardio, it actually feels much better.

So, all good, right? Well not quite. I have heard plenty of "Bros" telling me that doing light cardio after a workout will f#ck you up for all kinds of more or less scientific reasons and that it will have a SERIOUS IMPACT on your size and strength gains.

Guys, what do you think? Together with the cardio, the workouts will still be a max of 2 hrs, probably more like 90 minutes. Beneficial or not?

I do 20 min cardio on treadmill postworkout. I feel that this helps boosts my metabolism and enables me to eat more food while not gaining as much fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If thats the only time you can get it in, then get it in man. You're drinking your post workout shake during so you're already helping get nutrients into your muscles to aid recovery. 30 minutes of light cardio won't have any significant effect on muscle gain.

Ok, this could be a stupid question, but you all know how much BS there is online about weightlifting and gaining muscle.

When do I have time? Right after working out, especially now after intensifying my workouts with shorter rests between sets. I actually like the feeling of doing some 30 min of light cardio (around 140bpm pulse) after a workout for several reasons. It loses up my body a little, making me feel more relaxed. I also feel that its a great time to down my protein shake since it tends to make my stomach a bit bloated, but if I take it while doing light cardio, it actually feels much better.

So, all good, right? Well not quite. I have heard plenty of "Bros" telling me that doing light cardio after a workout will f#ck you up for all kinds of more or less scientific reasons and that it will have a SERIOUS IMPACT on your size and strength gains.

Guys, what do you think? Together with the cardio, the workouts will still be a max of 2 hrs, probably more like 90 minutes. Beneficial or not?

Is there a reason you can't do the cardio before your workout? I'm not a fan of doing it afterwards because your muscles tissues have been broken down during weight training and and cardio afterwards can be a bit counterproductive. I would do it beforehand. Light cardio before weights is fine plus it gets your body warmed up and ready for lifting

I don't see an issue with cardio post workout. Especially a light pace. It helps flush fresh blood into the muscles and flush out the acid and stuff. Good stuff. I'd be careful with cardio before. Yes being warmed up is nice but there is a point of too warmed up. That's when things start to get loose and bad things can happen.
I'm actually starting to add a variety of cardio post workout today. Bleachers. Sprints. Rower. Tire flip and atlas carries.

I don't see an issue with cardio post workout. Especially a light pace. It helps flush fresh blood into the muscles and flush out the acid and stuff. Good stuff. I'd be careful with cardio before. Yes being warmed up is nice but there is a point of too warmed up. That's when things start to get loose and bad things can happen.
I'm actually starting to add a variety of cardio post workout today. Bleachers. Sprints. Rower. Tire flip and atlas carries.

Atlas ball carries for cardio? Post workout? Endurance of a bull, or what? After I finish my workout only thing I can concentrate on is getting in some protein bro...

Something i could add to this conversation, i got this info from a russian old school body builder. Maybe you guys could give your thoughts on it. He was telling me a good way to help fat loss without loosing muscle mass is to, do your normal workout. Then at the end of your workout get on the tread mill and walk, not run and drink your protein shake. He also mentioned that adding in a teaspoon of cinnamon in your drink that you have when walking helps. I guess this has something to do with extending your cool down time and replenishing your body at the same time. He recommended a 30 min walk after each workout which would be equal to about a mile. Doing this everyday adds up over time.

What i stated above is not a FACT by ME, it was something i was told. Now from the looks of this guy he does seem to know what he is talking about. But I myself iam not 100 percent sure.

I have done both. just in the last 60 days or so I do steady state afterwards nothing too crazy but just a brisk walk at incline. I had good results with both ways. mix it up just like you would your weight training. but I am very happy with my progress in the past 60 days

Something i could add to this conversation, i got this info from a russian old school body builder. Maybe you guys could give your thoughts on it. He was telling me a good way to help fat loss without loosing muscle mass is to, do your normal workout. Then at the end of your workout get on the tread mill and walk, not run and drink your protein shake. He also mentioned that adding in a teaspoon of cinnamon in your drink that you have when walking helps. I guess this has something to do with extending your cool down time and replenishing your body at the same time. He recommended a 30 min walk after each workout which would be equal to about a mile. Doing this everyday adds up over time.

What i stated above is not a FACT by ME, it was something i was told. Now from the looks of this guy he does seem to know what he is talking about. But I myself iam not 100 percent sure.

You can't burn fat while drinking a shake because your body is releasing insulin as the shake hits the system. The cinnamon helps clear blood sugar.

Phurious Pharma Rep
Email me at [email protected]
Code 'JS5' for 5% off

Good question and interesting answers, I always read (bro science I guess) that doing cardio after weight training was counter productive as it steals blood and oxygen that should be going to worked muscles and reroutes to the cardio usage, mainly I guess legs. Truth to that? Or as mentioned would light cardio not really have that much of an effect?

I've always done cardio post workout. I honestly feel it's the best time.

Same here.For years I did cardio pre-workout & would burn out towards the end of my workout.Cardio post-workout I found I could lift more & heavier.I guess it depends on your goals.If you're trying to build muscle lift first.If you're trying to increase endurance/burn fat do cardio first.

If I burn out towards the end of my cardio,it's no big deal to me as opposed to burning out during my lifting,where it's a very big deal.

Post workout cardio is more beneficial because you already burned through your glycogen storage and used it for your lifting instead of for cardio. So after a good lifting session, you're depleted of glycogen and you're burning fat during the post cardio. I always take BCAA during my cardio though just to help prevent muscle waste

Use code "5DC" for 5% off at Roids24.co

Hell no.....

Make time.

Do fasted cardio in the AM.

You can't burn fat while drinking a shake because your body is releasing insulin as the shake hits the system. The cinnamon helps clear blood sugar.

Phurious Pharma Rep
Email me at [email protected]
Code 'JS5' for 5% off

X2, drinking a shake while doing cardio seems pretty pointless

Personally I don't do any cardio after my workouts. I do a 15 minute warmup then workout.
I do HIIT on non workout days for 20 minutes. That's the only cardio I need.

If at all possible I think it's best doing cardio on days different than those you lift, which is what I do. However it's not ideal for guys lifting 5 or 6 days a week obviously. I lift Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and do cardio on all off days in between

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

I live 3 miles from work and the gym is exactly half way. I take the bus or Uber to work every morning. After work I walk a half hour to the gym and when I'm done with my workout I walk the rest of the way home which is another half hour. This seems to be working well for me.

Pharma Lady Rep

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom