napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Carmel Cowboy Transformation Log

Killing it, CC!

I've been throwing some "working sets" on the end of high intensity opposite super sets, so I'm in tune with those heavy sets to finish things off.

Keep killing it....

Leg workout- warm up was joint rotations and 10 mins on arc trainer.
1) adduction and abduction for 3 sets of 20 reps.
2) standing single leg curl-(40lbsx20,45lbsx20) 65lbsx15,75lbsx15,85lbsx15 (pump in hamstrings was crazy)
3) prone leg curl- (70lbsx20) 110lbsx15, 130lbsx12, 150lbsx8
4) seated leg curl- (90lbsx20)110lbsx15,130lbsx12,130lbsx12
5) leg extension- (65lbsx30) stayed light and rest time was 30secs. 5 sets of 30 reps with 100lbs pump in quads was insane!!
6) leg press-(135lbsx30) stayed light to not irritate my knee. 315lbsx30,495lbsx30,585lbsx25
7) hack squat- 4 sets with 135lbs for 20 reps
8) leg extension- 2 finishing sets with 100lbs for 30 reps.
Cardio- arc trainer 35mins.
Nutrition so far.
Meal 1- 6egg whites
3oz turkey
Onions mushrooms
1/4 cup of oatmeal
1/4 cup of blueberries
Meal 2-(post workout) 2 scoops of whey
16oz of water
Meal 3- 6oz turkey burger
1/2 cup of rice
1 tbs of home made guacamole
Will post the rest of my meals. Thank you for reading!

I appreciate your question CC, as I am struggling with how to move forward.

As a gentleman of a certain age (I was outed as 53 when I posted bloods last year) I am considering the whole "recovering" thing. I've been doing the Doug Brignole intensity thing for quite some time now.

All super setting;
Chest/Back
Bis/Tris
Shoulders
Legs

6 days a week, for the past year.

I'm telling you, at the end of my first chest/back set, 50 reps/50 reps, I am crying. Which is cool and all, but I'm starting to wonder if I could be making more gains by dialing it back a little....

Maybe 5 days a week with a low intensity cardio one day so I can still go to the gym.

1 Thing worth reporting...I had my IGF-1 level checked last year as I was thinking of doing some HGH, and it was way over the "normal" range.

Buddhist practice for real...

Sounds good Buddha!! What's your workout split look like?

Doing any program for a year will start to lose its benefit. I think a change and more rest would do you good!! Just my opinion brother!! Buddhist practice for real, interesting!!

Meal 4- 6oz of chicken
1/2 cup of rice
Meal 5- 2 scoops of whey
10oz of almond milk
Meal 6- 6 egg whites
3oz turkey
Mushrooms onions.

Day 62- wake up 6:30am. 2 scoops of aminos. Today is the second week of pre exhaust and will be doing chest and calves. Will post my complete workout. Nutrition for today is my 3rd low day so will be at 75 grams of carbs. As I have wrote earlier I am staying right around a pound a week with this cycling schedule so no need to make a change. Pending how I look and where my body fat is at the end of this contest will determine if I continue to cut or maintain. I plan to start my next cycle the week of may 28th. I will be at 5% body fat starting that cycle and my goal for the cycle will be lean quality mass while keeping body fat 5-7%. I plan to post my way of designing my workout plan which is my version of periodization. I will also post my workout outline for upcoming cycle and goal of lean mass. Thanks for reading!

A few people have asked about how I set up my workout plan so I thought I would post my version of periodization. I take concepts from both linear and undulating periodization and created what has worked for me over the years.
Periodization uses systematic variations in training to accomplish a specific goal, in this case hypertrophy. There are several variables that are used to attain the goal of increasing lean muscle mass. Periodization allows me to break training up into specific phases and utilize different training protocols to continuously achieve my goal because my body always has a different stimulus to adapt to. Over the years of training I have found several training protocols that work for me and I believe the most important part of any training program is finding what your body responds to the best. Even after you have found what work best for you there still needs to be changes made so your body always has some different form of stress to adapt to. There are different phases in a periodization plan but I use 4 different phases. The phase that I am in will determine the load, rest time, momentary muscular failure and rep speed. Here are the phases I use.
A. Anatomical adaptation
B. Maximum strength
C. Hypertrophy
D. Recovery
Anatomical Adaptation phase- preparing the body for the more challenging phases to come. During this phase I will address any weakness that could potentially lead to injury. Also during this phase I will address any strength imbalances so that I can meet the challenges set up in the future. This phase is the first phase and a lot of the exercise will continue throughout the entire plan. Ex. external and internal rotation, bird dog, face pulls. Reps for exercises during this phase are usually 15-20 and for isometric contractions the hold are 30-40 secs. I usually spend 1-2 weeks in this phase pending how my body feels and injuries that need attention.
Maximum Strength phase-I modify this phase and make it more bodybuilding specific in that I never go below 4 reps. The purpose of this phase is to improve my strength in a 4-8 reps range and ultimately improving my 10 reps max strength which has a critical role in inducing hypertrophy. This is an important phase but one that I have to be careful in cause of previous injuries. This phase has had made the biggest difference for me in gaining size. I have noticed over the years that the stronger I can get a muscle group the bigger it will become after transitioning to the next phase. Another great thing about this phase is I always have a weight logged in that I am trying to increase for every exercise per muscle group! It guides my mental drive to push and keep making progress!!! The reps are usually 4-8 during this phase and rest time is 1-1.5 mins between sets. The amount of time spent in this phase will vary pending my goal for the plan but on average I spend 3-6 weeks in this phase.
Hypertrophy phase- this is the phase that I spend the most amount of time in for the length of the plan. The rep range that works best for me during this is 8-12 and rest is usually around 30-45 secs pending what protocol I am employing. During this phase I use several training protocols that have worked for me here is my list; drop sets, super sets, pre exhaust, yoyo sets and straight sets for 8 with 2 forced reps. As my goal is to increase lean mass I will usually spend 6-9 weeks in this phase.
Recuperation phase- this phase is to allow my mind and body to recuperate in an active way. I will use this phase at the conclusion of my periodized plan or at any point that I feel my mind and body need it. Often referred to as deload, this phase is a crucial one as your body will send you signals that it needs a break and when we refuse to listen and keep pushing is when the body forces you to take a break. Listening to your body is also crucial for you to keep making progress! This is one of the hardest phases for me especially with a specific goal in mind. During the recuperation phase at the end of my plan is when I review the results from the previous plan and create my next periodized plan to get to the next level. If I use the recuperation phase during the plan it is usually 1 week. After the plan this phase will be 1-2 weeks.
There are several variables that are responsible for initiating the hypertrophic response to resistance training.
Intensity- In my experience has been the most significant variable to increase lean muscle mass. Intensity simply stated is the load being used. I don't use percentage of 1rm to gauge the load. I select a weight that I could do within the range of 4-8 reps and constantly make a challenge when I come back to the maximum strength phase to use a little more weight. One of the great benefits to periodization is that I can plan when and how long it will take to improve my strength based off of previous plans. Another great aspect of periodization is that if I stay In max strength phase for 3 weeks I can progressively get heavier within those weeks and peak during the final week and see a difference In the load I can use for 8-12 reps after transitioning to hypertrophy phase. All while not spending too much time within a certain rep range but enough time to see the improvements!!!
Volume- the total reps, sets, and load used In a training session. The higher the intensity the lower the volume. The higher the volume the lower the intensity. For me multiple set protocols has always given me better results with increasing lean muscle mass. That's why I never go below 4 reps and rarely use 4 reps for selecting a load. I usually transition from max strength to hypertrophy so the intensity goes down and the volume goes up as I progress through plan. Like I have stated before my goal is always to improve my 10 rep strength!!
Exercise selection- I have learned that exercise selection is crucial in improving a balanced symmetrical physique. Exercise selection also has a major impact on fully developing each muscle group. Angle of push or pull, position of extremities in relation to your core causes different activation patterns within muscle compartments and make synergist more active or less active. Selecting the right exercise to pre- exhaust a certain compartment of a muscle group can make a huge difference in sculpting a complete physique. Exercise selection is crucial and a big piece to designing a complete program.
Rest intervals- I use the basic concept of the heavier the load the more rest required . I normally stay around 30-45 secs during hypertrophy, 1-1.5 mins during max strength, little to no rest during anatomical adaptation cause exercise are usually done In a circuit unless it's an isometric. Not only is the time taken between sets important but the time taken between workouts for a particular muscle group is crucial. As we all know the damage is done in the gym and the real growth is when the muscle adapts to the stress and becomes stronger to handle that stress again. If you cut into that adaptation time you are fighting against yourself to make gains!
Muscular failure- the amount of exhaustion when the muscle can no longer perform a concentric contraction as well as eccentric contraction. This is the most amount of stress caused when a muscle is brought to complete failure and should be used sparingly during your workout plan. I use muscular failure when I implement the 8+2 method during hypertrophy phase. I will select a weight that I will hit concentric failure around the 8th rep and my partner with assist with the next 2 reps and I will hit eccentric failure. This muscular failure is used for 1 week and progressively worked up to 2 weeks prior.
Here is a sample 24 week plan.
1 week Anatomical Adaptation phase-getting body prepared for future stress.
3 weeks Maximum Strength phase- progressively work up to a load that is within 4-8 reps.
9 weeks Hypertrophy Phase- use different training protocols to induce hypertrophy. Each training protocol will last 3 weeks before I switch to another protocol. Using the strength acquired during previous phase.
3 weeks Maximum Strength Phase- second time through and want to progressively challenge my previous loads.
1 weeks recuperation- active rest for mind and body.

6 weeks Hypertrophy Phase- use same training protocol as last hypertrophy phase and try to use a heavier load.
1 week Anatomical Adaptation-assess previous plan. Address weaknesses or injuries. Create new plan!

Today's workout was chest and calves. 2nd week of pre exhaust and focused on mid pec. Warm up was joint rotations and 10 mins on bike.
1) internal and external rotation- 3 sets of 20 reps
2) midline cable crossovers- 5 sets of 20 reps with 40lbs
3) flat db press-(25lbsx20 reps) 50lbsx15,65lbsx15,70lbsx12
4) decline barbell press(95lbsx20) 135lbsx15,185lbsx12,185lbsx12,185lbsx12
5) incline hammer strength- (135lbsx15) 185lbsx15, 225lbsx12,225lbsx12
6) high to low cable crossover- 3 sets of 20 reps with 50lbs
7) standing calf raise-(120lbsx20) 150lbsx15,180lbsx12,200lbsx10,210lbsx10
8) seated calf raise- (50lbsx20)100lbsx20,150lbsx15,150lbsx15,150lbsx15
Cardio- eliptical 50mins.

Day 63- wake up 5:30am. Today is back and abs and will focus on the upper back for pre exhaust. Nutrition for today is a high day and will be eating 145 grams of carbs. Will post complete workout and meals. Thanks for reading!

Back workout- warm up joint rotations and bike for 10 mins. Focus today for pre exhaust is upper back!
1)wide grip straight bar pullovers-(40lbsx20,50lbsx20) 85lbsx15,90lbsx15,95lbsx15,100lbsx12 (crazy pump in upper lats where they tie in to arm pit. Rest time between sets was 30secs)
2)wide grip lat pull downs- (100lbsx20) 220lbsx12, 235lbsx10,250lbsx8
3) overhand grip bent over row-(135lbsx20)185lbsx15,225lbsx15,275lbsx10,275lbsx8
4) overhand grip uni lateral hammer row- (elbows high. Just count plates on one side.)45lbsx20,90lbsx15,135lbsx10,135lbsx10
5) rack pulls-(stayed light) 225lbs for 3 sets of 15reps
6) abs today was weighted so used ab machine-90lbs for 4 sets of 30 reps
Cardio- eliptical 30 mins, bike 20 mins.
Pump in upper lats and upper mid back was crazy from pullover and kept focus on that section of my back for all exercises. The mind muscle connection I can make while doing pre exhaust is amazing!! One of my favorite protocols.

Day 63 nutrition for today is a high day. Carbs are at 145 grams.
Meal 1- 3 protein pancakes
6 egg whites
3oz of turkey
Meal 2- 2 scoops of whey
16oz of almond milk
Meal 3-(pre workout) 6 oz chicken
1 cup of rice
Meal 4-(post workout)2 scoops of whey
16oz water
Meal 5- 6oz pork loin
1 cup of rice
1/2 cup of broccoli
Meal 6- 6oz pork loin
1/4 cup of rice
5 spears of asparagus
Meal 7- 6oz chicken
Spinach, lettuce, onions, green peppers
2 tbs of balsamic vinaigrette
Weight loss is holding steady at 1lb a week so plan will stay the same. thank you for reading!!

A few people have asked about how I set up my workout plan so I thought I would post my version of periodization. I take concepts from both linear and undulating periodization and created what has worked for me over the years.
Periodization uses systematic variations in training to accomplish a specific goal, in this case hypertrophy. There are several variables that are used to attain the goal of increasing lean muscle mass. Periodization allows me to break training up into specific phases and utilize different training protocols to continuously achieve my goal because my body always has a different stimulus to adapt to. Over the years of training I have found several training protocols that work for me and I believe the most important part of any training program is finding what your body responds to the best. Even after you have found what work best for you there still needs to be changes made so your body always has some different form of stress to adapt to. There are different phases in a periodization plan but I use 4 different phases. The phase that I am in will determine the load, rest time, momentary muscular failure and rep speed. Here are the phases I use.
A. Anatomical adaptation
B. Maximum strength
C. Hypertrophy
D. Recovery
Anatomical Adaptation phase- preparing the body for the more challenging phases to come. During this phase I will address any weakness that could potentially lead to injury. Also during this phase I will address any strength imbalances so that I can meet the challenges set up in the future. This phase is the first phase and a lot of the exercise will continue throughout the entire plan. Ex. external and internal rotation, bird dog, face pulls. Reps for exercises during this phase are usually 15-20 and for isometric contractions the hold are 30-40 secs. I usually spend 1-2 weeks in this phase pending how my body feels and injuries that need attention.
Maximum Strength phase-I modify this phase and make it more bodybuilding specific in that I never go below 4 reps. The purpose of this phase is to improve my strength in a 4-8 reps range and ultimately improving my 10 reps max strength which has a critical role in inducing hypertrophy. This is an important phase but one that I have to be careful in cause of previous injuries. This phase has had made the biggest difference for me in gaining size. I have noticed over the years that the stronger I can get a muscle group the bigger it will become after transitioning to the next phase. Another great thing about this phase is I always have a weight logged in that I am trying to increase for every exercise per muscle group! It guides my mental drive to push and keep making progress!!! The reps are usually 4-8 during this phase and rest time is 1-1.5 mins between sets. The amount of time spent in this phase will vary pending my goal for the plan but on average I spend 3-6 weeks in this phase.
Hypertrophy phase- this is the phase that I spend the most amount of time in for the length of the plan. The rep range that works best for me during this is 8-12 and rest is usually around 30-45 secs pending what protocol I am employing. During this phase I use several training protocols that have worked for me here is my list; drop sets, super sets, pre exhaust, yoyo sets and straight sets for 8 with 2 forced reps. As my goal is to increase lean mass I will usually spend 6-9 weeks in this phase.
Recuperation phase- this phase is to allow my mind and body to recuperate in an active way. I will use this phase at the conclusion of my periodized plan or at any point that I feel my mind and body need it. Often referred to as deload, this phase is a crucial one as your body will send you signals that it needs a break and when we refuse to listen and keep pushing is when the body forces you to take a break. Listening to your body is also crucial for you to keep making progress! This is one of the hardest phases for me especially with a specific goal in mind. During the recuperation phase at the end of my plan is when I review the results from the previous plan and create my next periodized plan to get to the next level. If I use the recuperation phase during the plan it is usually 1 week. After the plan this phase will be 1-2 weeks.
There are several variables that are responsible for initiating the hypertrophic response to resistance training.
Intensity- In my experience has been the most significant variable to increase lean muscle mass. Intensity simply stated is the load being used. I don't use percentage of 1rm to gauge the load. I select a weight that I could do within the range of 4-8 reps and constantly make a challenge when I come back to the maximum strength phase to use a little more weight. One of the great benefits to periodization is that I can plan when and how long it will take to improve my strength based off of previous plans. Another great aspect of periodization is that if I stay In max strength phase for 3 weeks I can progressively get heavier within those weeks and peak during the final week and see a difference In the load I can use for 8-12 reps after transitioning to hypertrophy phase. All while not spending too much time within a certain rep range but enough time to see the improvements!!!
Volume- the total reps, sets, and load used In a training session. The higher the intensity the lower the volume. The higher the volume the lower the intensity. For me multiple set protocols has always given me better results with increasing lean muscle mass. That's why I never go below 4 reps and rarely use 4 reps for selecting a load. I usually transition from max strength to hypertrophy so the intensity goes down and the volume goes up as I progress through plan. Like I have stated before my goal is always to improve my 10 rep strength!!
Exercise selection- I have learned that exercise selection is crucial in improving a balanced symmetrical physique. Exercise selection also has a major impact on fully developing each muscle group. Angle of push or pull, position of extremities in relation to your core causes different activation patterns within muscle compartments and make synergist more active or less active. Selecting the right exercise to pre- exhaust a certain compartment of a muscle group can make a huge difference in sculpting a complete physique. Exercise selection is crucial and a big piece to designing a complete program.
Rest intervals- I use the basic concept of the heavier the load the more rest required . I normally stay around 30-45 secs during hypertrophy, 1-1.5 mins during max strength, little to no rest during anatomical adaptation cause exercise are usually done In a circuit unless it's an isometric. Not only is the time taken between sets important but the time taken between workouts for a particular muscle group is crucial. As we all know the damage is done in the gym and the real growth is when the muscle adapts to the stress and becomes stronger to handle that stress again. If you cut into that adaptation time you are fighting against yourself to make gains!
Muscular failure- the amount of exhaustion when the muscle can no longer perform a concentric contraction as well as eccentric contraction. This is the most amount of stress caused when a muscle is brought to complete failure and should be used sparingly during your workout plan. I use muscular failure when I implement the 8+2 method during hypertrophy phase. I will select a weight that I will hit concentric failure around the 8th rep and my partner with assist with the next 2 reps and I will hit eccentric failure. This muscular failure is used for 1 week and progressively worked up to 2 weeks prior.
Here is a sample 24 week plan.
1 week Anatomical Adaptation phase-getting body prepared for future stress.
3 weeks Maximum Strength phase- progressively work up to a load that is within 4-8 reps.
9 weeks Hypertrophy Phase- use different training protocols to induce hypertrophy. Each training protocol will last 3 weeks before I switch to another protocol. Using the strength acquired during previous phase.
3 weeks Maximum Strength Phase- second time through and want to progressively challenge my previous loads.
1 weeks recuperation- active rest for mind and body.

6 weeks Hypertrophy Phase- use same training protocol as last hypertrophy phase and try to use a heavier load.
1 week Anatomical Adaptation-assess previous plan. Address weaknesses or injuries. Create new plan!

Thanks CC for posting this. I truly believe this post here is worthy of being a "Sticky" on the forum. Reading it made me realize that while I may have my nutrition planning down, my training program needs some order and direction. It's not bad and definitely better than 2 years ago, however needs some attention. Appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and knowledge.

Thanks CC for posting this. I truly believe this post here is worthy of being a "Sticky" on the forum. Reading it made me realize that while I may have my nutrition planning down, my training program needs some order and direction. It's not bad and definitely better than 2 years ago, however needs some attention. Appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and knowledge.
Thank you bro!!! Just hope it helps!

Day 64- wake up 5:30 am 2 scoops of aminos. Today I am off from weights and will be doing cardio. Plan is to do 50 mins on eliptical. Nutrition for today is a high day so will be at 145 grams of carbs. Here my meals so far and will post rest of meal at end of day!
Meal 1- 6 egg whites
3oz turkey
1/4 cup of blueberries
Meal 2- 2 scoops of whey
16oz of almond milk
Meal 3- 6oz chicken
1 cup of rice
3 spears of asparagus
Thank you for reading!

Just copied and pasted your periodization plan into a word file lol. Very in depth and informative I plan on creating a plan around this once my current semester is over and I have more time. Excellent Post!

Top Bottom