Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Traps aren't growing.

caleb18

Need some help, new exercises, tips, just something to help get over this plateau. Traps haven't really grown in six months. Been doing a lot of shrug exercise and face pulls and bent over lateral raises. Open to anything.

No supplement beats hard work

I found bent over rows at a 45 degree angle instead of a 90 degree hits them pretty well.Also cleans & overhead presses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found bent over rows at a 45 degree angle instead of a 90 degree hits them pretty well.Also cleans & overhead presses.

Overhead pressed with a barbell or dumbbells, or does it matter? Because I do overhead pressed already for shoulders. I'll try bent over rows at a 45.

Overhead pressed with a barbell or dumbbells, or does it matter? Because I do overhead pressed already for shoulders. I'll try bent over rows at a 45.

With a barbell.Heavy cleans work well too.I do heavy clean & presses & my traps feel like they get the most out of it.
I know technically overhead presses are for shoulders but they hit the traps good too.

This is a good question for sarala.She's got some of the most impressive traps I've ever seen.

Yeah the 45 degree angle really focuses on your whole upper back.Traps are pretty hard to grow for some people.Personally I've never gotten much out of shrugs no matter how heavy I go.

I'm gonna recommend something mind blowing bro... this may or may not be an issue with you, but I want you to look at yourself when you try try it. "Proper form and full ROM". So many people fuck up shrugs it's stupid. Either that or they go so heavy that the hinder the ROM and that is equally as useless. Go with a medium weight and high reps with rock solid form and proper ROM. Your shit will groweth, cuz 44 sayeth so.

I'm gonna recommend something mind blowing bro... this may or may not be an issue with you, but I want you to look at yourself when you try try it. "Proper form and full ROM". So many people fuck up shrugs it's stupid. Either that or they go so heavy that the hinder the ROM and that is equally as useless. Go with a medium weight and high reps with rock solid form and proper ROM. Your shit will groweth, cuz 44 sayeth so.

I'll make sure I really check my form, what rep range would you recommend, 20-25? Haha well damn I guess they have to grow now.

My two cents... I stopped doing traps with shoulders. Started doing them on back day. After back I do multiple sets of careful form upright rows then dumbbell shrugs... progressively heavy with solid steady form... from 70 to 120 in 10 pound increments. Made a lot of difference for me.

My two cents... I stopped doing traps with shoulders. Started doing them on back day. After back I do multiple sets of careful form upright rows then dumbbell shrugs... progressively heavy with solid steady form... from 70 to 120 in 10 pound increments. Made a lot of difference for me.

I have always done traps with shoulders, I'll try doing them with back and see how that goes. I always found dumbbell shrugs hit it better than barbell shrugs. I'll just go as heavy as I can without losing any ROM like 44 said.

Have you ever done seated dumbbell shrugs leaning forward a little bit. I usually use a weight for full ROM and feel they work better than standing shrugs.

Need some help, new exercises, tips, just something to help get over this plateau. Traps haven't really grown in six months. Been doing a lot of shrug exercise and face pulls and bent over lateral raises. Open to anything.

Something that made my traps blow up was supersetting heavy shrugs with upright db rows.

I haven't done shrugs or any direct trap movement in years. Heavy deadlifts and high bar squats. Mine won't stop growing

I'll make sure I really check my form, what rep range would you recommend, 20-25? Haha well damn I guess they have to grow now.

Do 5 sets to failure bro... that will shock your shit to grow IMO. Also, upright rows can lead to impinged shoulders/rotor cuffs try some face pulls instead (indirectly you will work a portion of the muscle)... again IMO this will serve you better. At 5'9" and 254 lbs w/ some big ass'd traps that is my sermon on traps. You've got decent traps for your size bro, further establish your platform and growth will occur. I'm a big believer in that your body wants to be proportioned as best it can, meaning if your lower body is lacking- your upper body will reach a point and want to plateau and vice versus. Deads are solid too, but again this is an indirect exercise. As for squats.... meh... I've seen heavy squaters with zero traps and huge legs because that's what they're working.

Last edited:
This may sound odd to some but rack pulls really helped me with the lower portion of my traps. Also, really letting your shoulders drop during shrugs to get as much stretch as possible and really squeeze at the top. Lastly farmers walks gets them really well.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I have always done traps with shoulders, I'll try doing them with back and see how that goes. I always found dumbbell shrugs hit it better than barbell shrugs. I'll just go as heavy as I can without losing any ROM like 44 said.

Just think of all the scrubs you see fucking up exercises like they're spot on bro... they get some gains, but not what they want, or where they expect it all to be. I've tried heavy ass'd shrugs (bbell @ 405) for reps or db's at 150 for reps and nothing has beat the feel of a medium weight like 70 lbs for burnouts. You'll feel the difference when your at home in bed and thank me... not that you should be thinking about me while your in bed unless you wanna get punched in the throat. Where the fuck do I get this shit from...

This may sound odd to some but rack pulls really helped me with the lower portion of my traps. Also, really letting your shoulders drop during shrugs to get as much stretch as possible and really squeeze at the top. Lastly farmers walks gets them really well.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Ahhhh... good old farmer walks. All around growth baby, all around growth.

Just think of all the scrubs you see fucking up exercises like they're spot on bro... they get some gains, but not what they want, or where they expect it all to be. I've tried heavy ass'd shrugs (bbell @ 405) for reps or db's at 150 for reps and nothing has beat the feel of a medium weight like 70 lbs for burnouts. You'll feel the difference when your at home in bed and thank me... not that you should be thinking about me while your in bed unless you wanna get punched in the throat. Where the fuck do I get this shit from...

Thanks for all your advice as well as the humour with the knowledge, much appreciated. I'll give all of that a try and make are I focus on my form and range of motion.
Haha idk, after seeing your picture in another thread all I can think about is you when I'm home in bed...jk jk but mad respect for those gains and thanks for the advice, I'm here to learn!

Thanks for all your advice as well as the humour with the knowledge, much appreciated. I'll give all of that a try and make are I focus on my form and range of motion.
Haha idk, after seeing your picture in another thread all I can think about is you when I'm home in bed...jk jk but mad respect for those gains and thanks for the advice, I'm here to learn!

You're a sick fucking puppy...just what we need here. 44 out beetches!

IMO to have big traps you have to start with genetics for them. Don't get me wrong, obviously doing shrugs, deadlifts, ext will stimulate them, but at the end up the day most muscle groups and how big they can get is all genetics. My traps and chest I can just stare at them and they will grow. Arms on the other hand....not so much. lol

Top Bottom