Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

New splits. Thoughts on chest/back routines

Hey guys so just wanted to update how my chest/back workout went tonight. I trained very intensely with short rest periods and supersets. 1st superset was reverse grip pull downs with high cable crosses. 3 sets of each 10-12 reps upping weight each set. Next, seated cable rows with low cable crosses giant set with standing Lat pulls. Next middle cable crosses with v bar pull downs. Next hammer strength incline press with hammer underhand grip rows. Lastly, I was burnt but squezzed out 4 sets each of wide grip pull-ups/ chin ups (2 sets each) and 3 sets of dips. Let's just say I was fkn smoked faster that!! Did the whole workout in just under 40 mins too. Felt amazing, pump was rediculous. I'm Gona finish my last 4 weeks of my cycle with this split twice week changing exercises each time. Like today was back focused, next time Gona be chest focused. Thinking I can make some great gains finishing up this cycle. I encourage others to give it a try!!

If I did chest & back together it would take me two hours.That's way too much.Lately I've been doing 3 days on one day off & it's working out well.

Day 1:Legs

Day 2:Chest

Day 3:Back

Day 4:Rest

Day 5:Arms

Day 6:Legs

Day 7:Shoulders/Abs

Day 8:Rest

>Repeat

Each workout takes about 60min,not including cardio.
Thats nice bro, true takes a little longer but if i had the time i would be in the gym for 3! Lol.. No but thats my whole thing behind it i do about an hour of my primary and about 30 min secondary then cardio.. As long as it hit progressives overload!.. But this works for me.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Hey guys so just wanted to update how my chest/back workout went tonight. I trained very intensely with short rest periods and supersets. 1st superset was reverse grip pull downs with high cable crosses. 3 sets of each 10-12 reps upping weight each set. Next, seated cable rows with low cable crosses giant set with standing Lat pulls. Next middle cable crosses with v bar pull downs. Next hammer strength incline press with hammer underhand grip rows. Lastly, I was burnt but squezzed out 4 sets each of wide grip pull-ups/ chin ups (2 sets each) and 3 sets of dips. Let's just say I was fkn smoked faster that!! Did the whole workout in just under 40 mins too. Felt amazing, pump was rediculous. I'm Gona finish my last 4 weeks of my cycle with this split twice week changing exercises each time. Like today was back focused, next time Gona be chest focused. Thinking I can make some great gains finishing up this cycle. I encourage others to give it a try!!
Thats great bro!!

Yea tw24fr thanks for the advice today. I love the idea of switching the main focus from back to chest and switch. Next time I'm Gona do a heavy bench day and for the pump on my back. Probly a bunch of pull ups, t bar rows and dumbbell flys and dumbbell rows. Something like that. I too at first was weary of doing the 2 muscle groups but the Test in on is giving me insane intensity to power right through this shit! Loving be it so far! Thanks again everyone!

Thats nice bro, true takes a little longer but if i had the time i would be in the gym for 3! Lol.. No but thats my whole thing behind it i do about an hour of my primary and about 30 min secondary then cardio.. As long as it hit progressives overload!.. But this works for me.

I start to burn out after around 70min of lifting so I try & keep it at 60min.I'll take a little break,stretch,then do about 30min cardio.

Yea tw24fr thanks for the advice today. I love the idea of switching the main focus from back to chest and switch. Next time I'm Gona do a heavy bench day and for the pump on my back. Probly a bunch of pull ups, t bar rows and dumbbell flys and dumbbell rows. Something like that. I too at first was weary of doing the 2 muscle groups but the Test in on is giving me insane intensity to power right through this shit! Loving be it so far! Thanks again everyone!
Im glad I was able to help brother!. But most defiantly let me know how you feel after a few weeks. Bro working out two body parts a week works wonders! "Train like a beast look like a God"

i generally do everything in supersets... for back, i dont like to do it with chest or shoulders... it becomes too difficult because chest and shoulders generally require the most effort or push... everything does but those are flat out more difficult and have so many areas etc... chest and triceps often go well together... as do back and biceps, shoulders and traps... i change every 6-8 weeks with my splits... i like back and triceps as well... the back is so large and requires so much in terms of types of exercise... back is really form based and how you sit and breath... there's A LOT more to it than just "lifting" and its basically an art to really get that V-shape...

Yea I agree with you Dylan where back bis, chest tris shoulders,traps....but like I said I felt I needed new stimulus and man did it work. That workout was 2 days ago and in still fkn sore. It did require a ton of effort but I actually really enjoy giving it everything goes I have in the gym. Last 4 weeks of cycle r here, I'm Gona give 100% every time....not that I won't during pct or anything, I think you catch my drift. I guess I just wanted to see how my body will react to this split cause I've never really agreed with this training principal. A new challenge for me and a chance for new growth. I'll repost my results at the end of July at cycles end.

MON:Shoulders/Legs

Tue:Chest/Back

Wed:Biceps/Triceps

Thu:Legs/Shoulders

Fri:Back/Chest

Sat:Biceps/Triceps

Thats my split.

That is a good split. If i was 20 something, I would do something like that. But being 40, I need an extra day of rest. 5 days a week is plenty for me. LOL

You could try this one, I've done it with great results:
Chest/Shoulders
Legs (Squat and push movement heavy)
Back (Deadlifts with a few cable pull lifts)
Off
Legs (Hamstring, calves and Endurance based, kettlebells too)
Arms (Superset city)
Off

My legs are a non dominate muscle group for me, namely my quads so I hit them twice a week. Also, the end of my lifts involve a bunch of endurance movements with ropes, body all and plyometrics as well as core/ab work.

i generally do everything in supersets... for back, i dont like to do it with chest or shoulders... it becomes too difficult because chest and shoulders generally require the most effort or push... everything does but those are flat out more difficult and have so many areas etc... chest and triceps often go well together... as do back and biceps, shoulders and traps... i change every 6-8 weeks with my splits... i like back and triceps as well... the back is so large and requires so much in terms of types of exercise... back is really form based and how you sit and breath... there's A LOT more to it than just "lifting" and its basically an art to really get that V-shape...

Again, I agree with the back being an art. Trying to do it properly with another body part becomes too much. Everyone I train has this beaten into them by me every session.

I feel like for me back doesn't need a separate day rather it needs detailed and focused contractions ..... I spend a lot of time doing slow thought out bent over rows and my back is miles ahead of my body parts so I train back twice a week with chest doing between 10 to 16 sets for each muscle group twice a week

fuk wut u kno

That is a good split. If i was 20 something, I would do something like that. But being 40, I need an extra day of rest. 5 days a week is plenty for me. LOL
Haha.. Im with you on that bro.. But with anything everyone should listen to their body, believe me if i need to take 3 days off i will i rather take 2-3 then a whole month due to an injury lol..

Haha.. Im with you on that bro.. But with anything everyone should listen to their body, believe me if i need to take 3 days off i will i rather take 2-3 then a whole month due to an injury lol..

Exactly! I am older now and post rotator cuff surgery so I listen to my body much, much more than I did when I was 20..lol

Again I like the fact of switching main focus from chest to back and vice versa when doing the split twice a week. That say you can primarily focus on one or the other twice a week. While adding lighter weight and more reps on the secondary muscle group for that day. It's a nice change of pace and can really feel the muscles being shocked from the new stimulus

Top Bottom