Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Bulking workout routine...

jp1957

I just started this week doing the strongman 5x5 (actually 4x5 as I cant do deadlifts with my back).

I'm currently on a bulking cycle (osta, rad, gw, lgd) 9 weeks in.

I have been doing a split routine 3 days a week (legs/arms and chest/back/shoulders, so every other week one of the 2 routines get doubled).

Since my goal is to put on usable muscle (not a bodybuilder, I need the strength) I decided to try the strongman.

But I dont really feel it in certain muscle groups like back and arms. Chest, shoulders get worked well between the overhead and bench press, but not bi's or tri's, and back I dont feel is as worked out either.

So I'm just looking for some experienced feedback.

I've only been seriously lifting for 2 years, prior to that was mostly athetics oriented, so a lot of cardio and pilates for core strength.

If you dont feel it in your back your not doing the right movements or your not going heavy enough for the 5x5 to really be effective. Its best for compound lifts.
Arms your not gonna feel it but that's ok. Arms shouldn't be a focus in a 5x5 program. If they are they take a different training method GVT for example.

I wouldnt let 5x5 be a rule for all training just a program for compounds.

I'm going as heavy as I can, but for example I really cant do heavy bent over barbell rows, so I'm doing one arm rows, with other arm on my knee for support. Probably more of an isolation row, but better than a pure face on incline bench isolated rows.

If you have back issues, I'm not so sure 5x5 would be the best program for you, since it really is intended to focus on the big heavy compound movements.

You might be better off going with a more volume oriented type workout like GVT as TX mentioned or a regular 5 day bro split.

The somewhat of a catch 22 because of you are going for a lot of strength those big compound movements are where the magic happens

Just select the movements from the 5 X 5 you can do and build a plan around them. For example I work chest/shoulders, Legs (squat and presses), Arms, Back/Legs (hamstring and hips. I only go heavy with my bench, squat and deadlift and build a routine off that to compliment them in terms of an endurance lift, a sport specific conditioning lift and a shaping lift.

I like the GVT, what can I do to replace the pull ups. I cant do that many of pure bodyweight yet. Note, its my home gym, so no cables (like lat pull downs, etc)

Last edited:
I started the GVT this week.

Jesus christ, it kicked my ass hard.... Awesome workout.

I started the GVT this week.

Jesus christ, it kicked my ass hard.... Awesome workout.

That's awesome. I hope you can someday be able to get your deadlifts on. I feel like they are the best workout of all time. You pick up gravity and tell it to go fuck itself because you run shit in this motherfucker, with respect lol.

I love the 5x5 routine, however, its designed for strength more than bulking or mass. It's also a great beginner routine to get lifters used to doing the compound movements. You will get some size but it's not a hypertrophy routine. If you want to bulk, I would recommend a different routine. I modified a 5x5 routine to include more accessory work in it and got good results with this.

Here is my modified 5x5..

Monday (Workout A)

Squat - 5x5
Bench Press - 5x5
Barbell Row - 5x5

Assistance Work
2 sets of DB Shoulder Press
3 sets of tricep pushdowns

Wednesday (Workout B)

Squat - 5x5
Military Press - 5x5
Deadlift - 2x5

Assistance Work
4 sets of Hammer Strength Chest Press
3 sets of Hyperextensions
3 sets of Machine Bicep Curls

Friday - (Workout A)

Squat- 5x5
Bench Press - 5x5
Barbell Row - 5x5

Assistance Work
3 sets of Barbell Curls
3 sets of Skull Krushers

The Next week will look like this... Monday - Workout B, Wednesday, A, Friday- B. And so on for the following week.

deadlifts are a no go for me with my back, squats I just manage. Skull crushers also are no go, my elbows get seriously unhappy with me. I usually use dips, kickbacks, or a (I dont know what its called) when youput your legs on a chair, arms behind you ona bench, some weight in your lap, and tricep press.

deadlifts are a no go for me with my back, squats I just manage. Skull crushers also are no go, my elbows get seriously unhappy with me. I usually use dips, kickbacks, or a (I dont know what its called) when youput your legs on a chair, arms behind you ona bench, some weight in your lap, and tricep press.

You can always substitute the assistance work exercises. I swap different ones in and out. Like I can't do dips since I had my rotator cuff surgery. Too painful when I do them, so i dont. Plus i dont do behind the neck/head tricep exercises anymore because of the surgery. Skull krushers are fine with me though.
If you can't deadlift, You can always add some extra T-Bar rows in for the deads, although they are not nearly as good.

Brawn gave you the proper layout.

Deadllifts can be performed by ANYONE who does not have a debilitating back injury. Most people just lack the mobility and proper technique. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people pulling in the gym with AWFUL form and then complain that their back hurts because of deadlifts. I'm not saying this is you, but maybe you need to film yourself deadlifting and see if it isn't your form that is off.

Brawn gave you the proper layout.

Deadllifts can be performed by ANYONE who does not have a debilitating back injury. Most people just lack the mobility and proper technique. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people pulling in the gym with AWFUL form and then complain that their back hurts because of deadlifts. I'm not saying this is you, but maybe you need to film yourself deadlifting and see if it isn't your form that is off.

Filming yourself is a great idea. I feel that if your form is down you should be able to deadlift with no belt or straps and not hurt at all.

I'm now 8 years now from when they first wanted me to have surgery. I lost weight, did pilates, and got one of those teeter ups(best money I ever spent). So heavy deadlifts are major no go. Even bent over bar rows the same.

I might have to see about trying the t bar row.

I'm now 8 years now from when they first wanted me to have surgery. I lost weight, did pilates, and got one of those teeter ups(best money I ever spent). So heavy deadlifts are major no go. Even bent over bar rows the same.

I might have to see about trying the t bar row.
Tbar rows were a great alternative exercise for me when I had back issues, and couldn't do bent over rows and deadlifts

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

5x5 is the shit, BUT you gotta go heavy as fuck or not at all. It's one of those programs that yield residual growth everywhere. Think Farmers Walk... you will grow, just not at focused points. If you're looking for pin point results then do pin point training. People have problems understanding what heavy is. Not you per say, but in general folks think everything they do is heavy. I see it all the time... cheating the body for sake of the mind. Fuck that. Lift like you should, not how you want. Comfort is a luxury, but it has no place in the gym.

Agreed, that's why 5x5 really isn't the right routine for me.

I've been quite pleased with gvt, I haven't been this sore in awhile

I have a question on GVT.

As I understand it, you pick one weight that you can push through all 100 reps just to failure? So might be fairly lite in the early sets, and progressively tougher.

I've found for some exercises, I start perhaps abit heavier and progressively lighten up. Is that defeating the GVT and making it more like a reverse pyramid with a crap load of reps?

nothing?

help! :)

I've done it before, but to me it's a maintenance type workout versus a true bulker IMO. I found myself using fairly heavy weight as that's what gave me some benefit, however to me, again my opinion only, the gains you get although cleaner and more specific will not translate into the mass you'd acquire doing 5x5 or a typical heavy push-pull split. Whereas smaller muscle groups would become visually more appealing, legs (Quads specifically) might suffer. If you want to chisel in some definition to arms, shoulders, traps, hammy's, pecs and traps and make "some" gains go for it, but you won't get Quadzillas on this IMO. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom