napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Training Styles and Programs

Testdude63

So, not exactly a direct question about aas or sarms, but an important part of the equation nonetheless.

There are many different training styles and programs out there. So many that the average lifter would have no clue where to start. There are:

Full body routines (Mon, Wed Fri)
Upper/Lower splits (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri)
Upper/Lower variants with hyper days (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat)
Push/Pull/Legs
"Bro Splits" - 3 day, 4 day, 5 day, and even 6 days.
X number of day "rotations"

And then of course we have all the programs, such as PHAT, PHUL, Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine, Bill Starr's 5x5, Madcow, GVT, HST, Doggcrap, 5/3/1, Starting Strength, The Cube Method, The Conjugate Method, etc... I could go on for days.

First off. If you're a beginner, regardless of your goals, I think it's important to build a good base. Start with your big three (Squat, Bench, Deadlift, and possibly OHP). These are the foundations of any good program IMO. 5x5 or Starting Strength would be a good place to start.

However. I want to know from the experienced guys on here what style of training they use. I have always been an advocate of higher frequency, such as an upper/lower, but this mainly stems from my decade of being a serious natural lifter. Now that I've been TRT and have done a couple quick blasts, I am curious about trying to go back to a "Bro split" just for the hell of it. Now, I know that protein synthesis is elevated at all times when ON, but would the 6-7 days of recovery between each muscle be benificial for growth or counter productive seeing as recovery is at a might quicker rate when using anabolics? I've been doing PHAT for a while now and had good results, but sometimes I miss my bro split--which I haven't really done in about 6-7 years lol.

Thought I would post this as an informational thread as well as an educational one for myself, and so that we, as members, can discuss this often overlooked topic!

Diet > training > rest/recover > aas :D

I'm old school I stick to one body part a day high volume. I do switch up the weight week to week heavy,or moderate. And at least once every six weeks I will go HEAVY low reps.But what works for me nay not for you.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

good post bro...and very relevant. I used to follow the mike mentzer heavy duty program ,but as you get older those weights seem heavier than ever. When my dad moved to costa rica all he did was bring a set straight bar weights and the dumbs that you add plates. One adjustable bench, then dips,pushups, and chins. I thought he was going to loose some past gains but he did not. He does 5 sets of 8-10. He puts out 8 perfect form reps and then not so perfect 2 more reps. I have been changing over to lighter yet more focus and concentration from the mental side and it indeed does work. Dad does the following....incline dumbell bench, flat bench warm ups, bent over barbell rows, bar curls preacher style and alternate standing dumbell curls, military press then weighted dips and push ups. He does an every other day routine of upper then lower body. Lower is frontal squats,leg press,squats,and lots of deads. He basically works out 6 days per week.

I still use some machines, but I always find myself going to the free weights. I mix it up a good bit, but keep the old standards. I add machines to break up any boredom. I think that we all figure out what is best for us!

Yea I agree it's what feels right for you..What I found that also helped me is that I do 5 sets of push ups (25)pull ups (10)and fips (10)after every workout now of corse the numbers may change here and there.This is just something help me hold on to mass.There are several ways to workout,but most important is always gonna be form (in my opinion )

Great post! I know everyone has their own personal preferences on training styles, etc...(for example I do DC training exclusively), but when starting out I think it's really important to stick to basics and the big movements. As you get experience you can tweak your training to what suits you best and find how your body responds to certain types of training stimulus versus others

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

Awesome feedback so far guys! I think one of the main things to remember is: Any program can work as long as intensity is there and adequate recovery is included. Too many folks program hop without allowing enough time to properly assess their progress. Every style of training can net you progress, but some more than others. Again, the most important aspect is intensity. You get out what you put in :).

good post bro...and very relevant. I used to follow the mike mentzer heavy duty program ,but as you get older those weights seem heavier than ever. When my dad moved to costa rica all he did was bring a set straight bar weights and the dumbs that you add plates. One adjustable bench, then dips,pushups, and chins. I thought he was going to loose some past gains but he did not. He does 5 sets of 8-10. He puts out 8 perfect form reps and then not so perfect 2 more reps. I have been changing over to lighter yet more focus and concentration from the mental side and it indeed does work. Dad does the following....incline dumbell bench, flat bench warm ups, bent over barbell rows, bar curls preacher style and alternate standing dumbell curls, military press then weighted dips and push ups. He does an every other day routine of upper then lower body. Lower is frontal squats,leg press,squats,and lots of deads. He basically works out 6 days per week.

I still use some machines, but I always find myself going to the free weights. I mix it up a good bit, but keep the old standards. I add machines to break up any boredom. I think that we all figure out what is best for us!
Your dad is living proof that the basics are enough. We don't need all this fancy equipment and new machines. Sure, they're cool to look at and use, but they're not NECESSARY. Nice post!

Yea I agree it's what feels right for you..What I found that also helped me is that I do 5 sets of push ups (25)pull ups (10)and fips (10)after every workout now of corse the numbers may change here and there.This is just something help me hold on to mass.There are several ways to workout,but most important is always gonna be form (in my opinion )

Very cool, dude. I've done similar things to bring up lagging bodyparts. My medial delts have always sucked, but I incorporated more lateral raises, and viola, they started growing!

Great post! I know everyone has their own personal preferences on training styles, etc...(for example I do DC training exclusively), but when starting out I think it's really important to stick to basics and the big movements. As you get experience you can tweak your training to what suits you best and find how your body responds to certain types of training stimulus versus others

Indeed, RR. The basics are the foundation of everything. Compounds are king :).

I run cycles of programs. I do 4 weeks of GVT which is 10x10. Followed by another 4 weeks of FST 7 then I go 4 weeks of 5x5. After those 12 weeks I go back to to the basic regular 4 sets of 10. I found this helps my central nervous system by giving it a break from the high intensity high volume and heavy weight. Then I run those 12 weeks again. It's help my body composition & strength A LOT. Rest every Wednesday's and Sunday's. Machines sometimes but Mostly free weights.

Sent from the swolest element under this atmosphere

I run cycles of programs. I do 4 weeks of GVT which is 10x10. Followed by another 4 weeks of FST 7 then I go 4 weeks of 5x5. After those 12 weeks I go back to to the basic regular 4 sets of 10. I found this helps my central nervous system by giving it a break from the high intensity high volume and heavy weight. Then I run those 12 weeks again. It's help my body composition & strength A LOT. Rest every Wednesday's and Sunday's. Machines sometimes but Mostly free weights.

What you're basically doing is non-linear periodization by utilizing different frequencies and overall training volumes. A very smart approach, my friend.

What you're basically doing is non-linear periodization by utilizing different frequencies and overall training volumes. A very smart approach, my friend.

Dont know if youre being sarcastic or not but it works for me, and Im happy with the results I've been receiving for that past year.

The human body learns to adapt, if you run a certain program over and over, or do the same exercises youre not shocking your body, youre not giving it a reason to grow. One week I'll do chest and tris, the next Ill do chest and bis or tris and back for example. Ill hit bench or Ill hit incline the next, its never a comfortable familiar regime and you thats what you want for your body to not get accustomed to what you are doing. If I were to run FST7 or 10x10 or whichever for longer than 5 weeks my body will not respond to it the same way it did for the first few weeks, I go in and my brain already knows whats going to go down and how its going it go down. Thats why I switch from program to program. It keeps inflicting the body with potential growth and strength gains. Now im not smart in the sense of knowing wtf a linear periodization table or how to use it lol but I know how to make my body grow, as long as adequate food is being consumed and adequate gear is being injected to my buttocks.

And as with everything else there comes a point where the body needs a break, thats when I take it easy with the 4 sets of 10. BTW Im usually blasting (its ideal), when I run that 12 weeker. I feel like my body is benefiting volume with GVT, it benefits intensity and shear rock solid muscle contraction with FST7 and my favorite; strength from 5x5. Shotgun shots after another.

I do a variation of Pavel Tsoutlines beyond bodybuilding and I also mix in various crossfit techniques but with a focus on either push, pull or legs each training day.

The human body learns to adapt, if you run a certain program over and over, or do the same exercises youre not shocking your body, youre not giving it a reason to grow. One week I'll do chest and tris, the next Ill do chest and bis or tris and back for example. Ill hit bench or Ill hit incline the next, its never a comfortable familiar regime and you thats what you want for your body to not get accustomed to what you are doing. If I were to run FST7 or 10x10 or whichever for longer than 5 weeks my body will not respond to it the same way it did for the first few weeks, I go in and my brain already knows whats going to go down and how its going it go down. Thats why I switch from program to program. It keeps inflicting the body with potential growth and strength gains. Now im not smart in the sense of knowing wtf a linear periodization table or how to use it lol but I know how to make my body grow, as long as adequate food is being consumed and adequate gear is being injected to my buttocks.

And as with everything else there comes a point where the body needs a break, thats when I take it easy with the 4 sets of 10. BTW Im usually blasting (its ideal), when I run that 12 weeker. I feel like my body is benefiting volume with GVT, it benefits intensity and shear rock solid muscle contraction with FST7 and my favorite; strength from 5x5. Shotgun shots after another.

I think that's a great strategy to overcome adaptation. I have tried similar principles in the past myself, but I've also found that I don't do well at any time with any higher volume training regimes, so I tend to stick with what I know works now.

You've seemed to find a good strategy that works well for you, which is what it's all about and we are all different on what does and doesn't work

I think that's a great strategy to overcome adaptation. I have tried similar principles in the past myself, but I've also found that I don't do well at any time with any higher volume training regimes, so I tend to stick with what I know works now.

You've seemed to find a good strategy that works well for you, which is what it's all about and we are all different on what does and doesn't work

Exactly, you find what works for you & stick to it. It's all part of this wonderful experience.

One thing that is often overlooked is the recovery of the central nervous system which is also crucial to pay attention to. AAS will not help the speed of the CNS recovery so I think it is still good idea to take a good period off between training. However that doesn't mean you can't blast a body part for several days in a row and then let it recover for a week or so after. But it is important to let it have a decent time off after really torturing a muscle group.

Ask me about Phurious Pharma!
[email protected]
Use code 'JS5' for 5% off any order!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing that is often overlooked is the recovery of the central nervous system which is also crucial to pay attention to. AAS will not help the speed of the CNS recovery so I think it is still good idea to take a good period off between training. However that doesn't mean you can't blast a body part for several days in a row and then let it recover for a week or so after. But it is important to let it have a decent time off after really torturing a muscle group.

Ask me about Phurious Pharma!
[email protected]
Use code 'JS5' for 5% off any order!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely agreed 100%. As I've gotten older this has become even more crucial I've found. My body doesn't recovery the same as it once does, and it's easy to over stress my CNS much more so than when younger

Top Bottom