Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Problem areas & how to shock the muscle again

Flanex

I have a problem trying to get a good pump in my biceps.I hit them every which way,heavy & light,high reps & low reps,almost a dozen variations.Preacher curls,hammer curls,drag curls,reverse curls,concentration curls,chin-ups,dumbells,barbell,tricep bar,ez-bar,cables,21's,etc,etc.
I have the same problem with my lats to an extent but not as bad as my bi's.I can usually get a decent pump in my lats,though not as good as I'd like.
I usually do 3-4 exercises for my biceps.The problem is they get tired before I can get a really good pump & they are never sore the next day.Unlike my triceps,I can beat the hell out of them & they're almost always sore the next day.I never feel satisfied after a bicep workout,no matter how hard I work them.

You guys got any tips?

First off, soreness is not always an indicator of results or progress. Growth is an indicator of results. Are they growing? What is your diet and water intake like? Perhaps more carbs and water around workout times will help.

Also, try to practice flexing your biceps without weights so you can flex them in the same fashion while performing bicep exercises.

I've also found the best growth in my biceps to initially come from heavy rowing and pulling movements.

I have a problem trying to get a good pump in my biceps.I hit them every which way,heavy & light,high reps & low reps,almost a dozen variations.Preacher curls,hammer curls,drag curls,reverse curls,concentration curls,chin-ups,dumbells,barbell,tricep bar,ez-bar,cables,21's,etc,etc.
I have the same problem with my lats to an extent but not as bad as my bi's.I can usually get a decent pump in my lats,though not as good as I'd like.
I usually do 3-4 exercises for my biceps.The problem is they get tired before I can get a really good pump & they are never sore the next day.Unlike my triceps,I can beat the hell out of them & they're almost always sore the next day.I never feel satisfied after a bicep workout,no matter how hard I work them.

You guys got any tips?

I think that as you progress and become more experienced, that you will find the bicep pump says goodbye. You just need to know that you are whacking them pretty good and that is the best you can do. Here is what I do, but it does not always work either. I do standing alternate dumbell curls as my last bicep exercise. Then when I am done I take about 10lbs off so that I can do the alternates very fast and not completely full range. I normally dislike half ass movements.I like full range with steady concentration, but on these curls I half ass them and I do it very fast for about 25 reps. I am sure some guys took vids of me and posted it saying here is another guy who don't know what he is doing...lol.
Well the gym where I am now, people are so focused they would not know if I was curling dumbs with my pinky!!

First off, soreness is not always an indicator of results or progress. Growth is an indicator of results. Are they growing? What is your diet and water intake like? Perhaps more carbs and water around workout times will help.

Also, try to practice flexing your biceps without weights so you can flex them in the same fashion while performing bicep exercises.

I've also found the best growth in my biceps to initially come from heavy rowing and pulling movements.

No they're not growing.That's the problem.My tri's are still growing though & my arms are starting to look lopsided,but that's probably in my head.It just feels like it.
I'm on a low carb diet cause I'm trying to cut.I don't have any problems with energy in any other muscle group.

I think that as you progress and become more experienced, that you will find the bicep pump says goodbye. You just need to know that you are whacking them pretty good and that is the best you can do. Here is what I do, but it does not always work either. I do standing alternate dumbell curls as my last bicep exercise. Then when I am done I take about 10lbs off so that I can do the alternates very fast and not completely full range. I normally dislike half ass movements.I like full range with steady concentration, but on these curls I half ass them and I do it very fast for about 25 reps. I am sure some guys took vids of me and posted it saying here is another guy who don't know what he is doing...lol.
Well the gym where I am now, people are so focused they would not know if I was curling dumbs with my pinky!!

I usually end my bicep workout with incline alternating curls at high reps (18-25) to try & get that burn,but it just feels like I'm overworking them chasing the pump..I'll try the fast half movements you mentioned though.Thanks man.

or I'll do the bent over concentration curls lowering the weight with each set,until I'm down to the 20#ers.That used to kill them.

I usually end my bicep workout with incline alternating curls at high reps (18-25) to try & get that burn,but it just feels like I'm overworking them chasing the pump..I'll try the fast half movements you mentioned though.Thanks man.

well you are chasing the pump.If you get the burn then you are there.

well you are chasing the pump.If you get the burn then you are there.

That's the problem.I never get there with them.You know that feeling when your muscles are so engorged it feels like your skin is going to tear open?I get it with everything else except my bi's.I may just have to take a week off from working them,then see if I can get that back.

Thanks Testdude.Normally when I'm doing rows I pull back with my elbows to concentrate on my lats,but I'll work my biceps in there too next week & see how it works.I do flex them all the time.I have a good mind/muscle connection with just about every movement.

Dude if you're on a low carb diet and you're trying to cut: Don't expect muscle gain, and don't expect much of a pump.

You guys got any tips?
Pumps have nothing to do with hypertrophy, so don't base anything off of that at all. If you want to grow you need progressive overload. You must constantly make your muscles work harder by increasing weight, reps, sets, intensity, whatever and overcome adaptation

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

Dude if you're on a low carb diet and you're trying to cut: Don't expect muscle gain, and don't expect much of a pump.
This is also very true. If you are low on muscle glycogen, so goodbye to a good pump. Not gonna happen

This is also very true. If you are low on muscle glycogen, so goodbye to a good pump. Not gonna happen

This is why I'm hesitant to mention a ketogenic diet on BB boards.Just about every one of then thumb their nose at it,but it's the only thing that has worked for me.I got my waistline down six inches in eight months doing this.Plus I get get unbelievable pumps in other areas.My quads,pecs,calves & tri's are jacked the ef up from this week.I do carb load one day a week & it's on my heaviest lifting day,usually legs,but I try & stay in ketosis 24/7 as much as possible.I really didn't want this to turn into my diet,because that's not it.I know it,or I wouldn't be getting pumped anywhere else.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything,if that's how it sounded.I appreciate any training advice anyone could give.

To get the pump you want you need to work your biceps to failure and concentrate on the sqeeze at the top of the rep. Do your regular bicep workout. At the end, work on concentration curls and really isolate the bicep with a tight sqeeze

PHURIOUS PHARMA REP

I think I need to just not work them for a week.That's helped me before with other problem areas.Thanks guys

I'd still like to see what techniques others have used when they got into a stall with a muscle group,so feel free to continue the discussion.

Top Bottom