napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Advanced Diet Critique.

JLM1995

I like to think that I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to nutrition. I have done plenty of studying for 2 years and will be having a nutrition qualification added under my name next year. At the same time, I know I am not the smartest out there, I'm far from it.
I want to ask experienced members to critique my diet. I am very flexible to my approach and at the same time, 80% of my food is whole, non-processed or "clean" foods if you will (I hate that word by the way, all foods consist of macronutrients & micronutrients. Just because some foods contain less micronutrients doesn't make it dirty. You don't call a girl dirty if she doesn't have a bra on is all I'm saying).
I have only one health issue: I have familial cholesterol. It is not a problem at the moment (I have a cholesterol reading of 3.4) but it can be a problem if I don't watch what I eat because my dad and grandfather have high cholesterol, they are not overweight but they also don't pay as much attention to diet as what I do. Now here is what I do, please keep in mind that I have no other health issues, everything else is 100%.

My total calories per day is 2250 at the moment, I am busy reverse dieting and adding in 50 calories every week until I get to 2600 calories. I have to keep my weight under control because I compete at 148, I don't want to go higher than 5% of comp weight so no higher than 155!

My macronutrient breakdown consists of 30% protein, 50% carbohydrates & 20% fats.
I keep my saturated fats lower than 15g per day and aim for around 10g (total fats are 50g) and the rest is poly- & monounsaturated fats. Please keep in mind that I also take omega 3's

For macronutrients I usually eat 2 types of fruits and 2 types of vegetables (200g each) minimum per day.

I don't track water intake, I only monitor urination's. I make sure 5 of my daily urination's are crystal clear and if I'm drinking coffee I make sure it's clear at least 8 times that day.

Meal timing is every 2-4 hours depending on the day's hunger levels.

Keep in mind that I train more for performance even though the way I look also is very important for me, my body can tolerate carbohydrates very, very well and I can lose weight on high carbs.

Thoughts about what I'm doing to maintain optimal health and keep cholesterol under control. Also, any questions?

That would be the only reason I question your split. That's actually really high for carbs and fairly low for protein, but as a natural athelete you can only absorb so much protein.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Carbs are not an essential nutrient so I usually kick them down as low as they can go whenever trying to stay lean. But again if you're natural your on point for the most part. I'd still slide protein up to at least 40% you said you're lifting for preformance, are you powerlifting for now?

Also as far as carbs go you already know I'm sure but most people don't really use them correctly or understand the difference from a complex carb and simple carbs. Usually when I see 50%carbs for a competing athelete it catches me off guard. There certainly are individuals who do well with them however I'm guessing you are on the younger side?

I was excellent with high carbs. Till I turned 23.... still young but man I do not burn things off as quick now. Crazy how fast it changed too.

I've tried a lot when it comes to diet I've gone through multiple contest preps. I bounce between bodybuilding and powerlifting back and forth I've adapted things that work for both. It's quite basic once you find a rythem.

Carbs are not an essential nutrient so I usually kick them down as low as they can go whenever trying to stay lean. But again if you're natural your on point for the most part. I'd still slide protein up to at least 40% you said you're lifting for preformance, are you powerlifting for now?

I usually keep protein at 2.3g/kg, I have never had any extra benefit from it. Like I said I can handle carbs better and for me the more carbs I get in the better I train and recover from workouts. Even when I upped my protein I didn't recover as fast as I would with more carbs. I'd say they are an essential macronutrient for me and my training. Obviously it will get my protein up to 2.8g/kg at least one day when I decide to take anything.

Yes and I don't think I'll ever stop, I love powerlifting.

I usually keep protein at 2.3g/kg, I have never had any extra benefit from it. Like I said I can handle carbs better and for me the more carbs I get in the better I train and recover from workouts. Even when I upped my protein I didn't recover as fast as I would with more carbs. I'd say they are an essential macronutrient for me and my training. Obviously it will get my protein up to 2.8g/kg at least one day when I decide to take anything.

Yes and I don't think I'll ever stop, I love powerlifting.
Ya your natural so your on the right track for now. This would all be different on gear. And I'm jot saying carbs are not essential out of opinion it's fact. Life does certainly suck without them lol. And you obviously have a higher allowance in powerlifting than you would in bodybuilding. I just came off a mean diet actually.
Loving life now. I took a lot of good lessons from an individual named John Anderson. I trained at his gym and spent time learning the deep water method. I've never been so successful as I have with that training method. Check it out man. See what you think.

I think you have a solid base though for what you're doing and looks like you got a good handle on things for now. I'm a believer in if it works don't fuck with it. Wait till it stops working lol.

Your the SA guy huh?

Ya your natural so your on the right track for now. This would all be different on gear. And I'm jot saying carbs are not essential out of opinion it's fact. Life does certainly suck without them lol. And you obviously have a higher allowance in powerlifting than you would in bodybuilding. I just came off a mean diet actually.
Loving life now. I took a lot of good lessons from an individual named John Anderson. I trained at his gym and spent time learning the deep water method. I've never been so successful as I have with that training method. Check it out man. See what you think.

I watch a lot of Mark Bell's videos so I know about Jon! Yeah the only thing at the back of my mind is the issue with cholesterol. I'm pretty happy with the rest, living life but still being smart. Yeah that's me. :)

I watch a lot of Mark Bell's videos so I know about John! Yeah the only thing at the back of my mind is the issue with cholesterol. I'm pretty happy with the rest, living life but still being smart. Yeah that's me. :)

Yep health comes first. That's the main thing. Idk how John is alive eating 700-900g of protein a day lol. But he sure is a champion in his sport.
Thats awesome man. I'm hoping to get down there soon. Like I mentioned my GF is from there. I get the benifit of slaming Melktert or Malva pudding pre workout lol. Her uncle was a huge powerlifter and strongman athelete down there too.

Yep health comes first. That's the main thing. Idk how John is alive eating 700-900g of protein a day lol. But he sure is a champion in his sport.
Thats awesome man. I'm hoping to get down there soon. Like I mentioned my GF is from there. I get the benifit of slaming Melktert or Malva pudding pre workout lol. Her uncle was a huge powerlifter and strongman athelete down there too.

Lol @700-900g protein jeez! That's sick dude, Cape Town is by far my favorite place here in SA. Dude thanks for making me in the mood for melktert now haha. That's awesome, got GF with a powerlifting uncle in SA. :p

I like to think that I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to nutrition. I have done plenty of studying for 2 years and will be having a nutrition qualification added under my name next year. At the same time, I know I am not the smartest out there, I'm far from it.
I want to ask experienced members to critique my diet. I am very flexible to my approach and at the same time, 80% of my food is whole, non-processed or "clean" foods if you will (I hate that word by the way, all foods consist of macronutrients & micronutrients. Just because some foods contain less micronutrients doesn't make it dirty. You don't call a girl dirty if she doesn't have a bra on is all I'm saying).
I have only one health issue: I have familial cholesterol. It is not a problem at the moment (I have a cholesterol reading of 3.4) but it can be a problem if I don't watch what I eat because my dad and grandfather have high cholesterol, they are not overweight but they also don't pay as much attention to diet as what I do. Now here is what I do, please keep in mind that I have no other health issues, everything else is 100%.

My total calories per day is 2250 at the moment, I am busy reverse dieting and adding in 50 calories every week until I get to 2600 calories. I have to keep my weight under control because I compete at 148, I don't want to go higher than 5% of comp weight so no higher than 155!

My macronutrient breakdown consists of 30% protein, 50% carbohydrates & 20% fats.
I keep my saturated fats lower than 15g per day and aim for around 10g (total fats are 50g) and the rest is poly- & monounsaturated fats. Please keep in mind that I also take omega 3's

For macronutrients I usually eat 2 types of fruits and 2 types of vegetables (200g each) minimum per day.

I don't track water intake, I only monitor urination's. I make sure 5 of my daily urination's are crystal clear and if I'm drinking coffee I make sure it's clear at least 8 times that day.

Keep in mind that I train more for performance even though the way I look also is very important for me, my body can tolerate carbohydrates very, very well and I can lose weight on high carbs.

Thoughts about what I'm doing to maintain optimal health and keep cholesterol under control. Also, any questions?

I think "clean" means you eat as natural as possible. A dinner of fresh roasted chicken and brocoli would be "clean". Not clean means it has been changed in some way by human hands...in other words...has been fucked with. So not clean would be bread,pasta,pizza, all fast food. Hot pockets type shit that you just pop in the microwave and eat.

Clean carbs are bulgar wheat, oats..esp steel cut. Other grains like quinoa, barely,whole rice. Clean oils..olive, coconut,seasame. Fresh fruits,fresh vegetables..not canned. So a clean meal of quinoa, grilled salmon, brocolli, carrots,caulflower plus an apple or two is nice. This is what a clean meal is to me.

I personally like fats for energy, so I have eggs cooked in coconut oil, or olive oil.That is breakfast.No carbs. I do my macros by first getting 2 grams protein/lb..which for me is 400 grams. So 400 grams on a 2200 calorie diet leaves me about 17% carbs, and 18%fat, and the balance is protein. Carbs have no daily requirement. Fats and proteins do. Fat and protein is essential to life but carbs are not. I do not even consider carbs a macro...they are just filler. And if you do eat carbs then follow the glycemic index. That is how I stay under 10% BF. Good nutrition can be done in different ways, so I wanted to show you my way,that I learned from dad, and has worked for me for years

Everything looks pretty solid man. I also follow "flexible dieting" style of dieting and am a nutrition professional. :) The only two things I see that you can work on is based on your macronutrient breakdown you can play around with your carb distribution throughout the day. I usually recommend 15% breakfast, 30% PRE & POST workout and the other 25% can be spread out for the rest of your meals. This usually is a good layout and can be tweaked at your preference. You will see both better performance and recovery with this distribution. Protein can be spread out evenly between meals except for your preworkout meal, keep that meal low protein and high fat to help with gastric emptying and blood sugar levels for better energy levels when working out. The only other thing I see you can work on is your reverse diet, 50 cals weekly is to slow imo. All depends how long you've been at it. It's not wrong, but in my experience you can be more aggressive when raising macros/calories and reaching your desired maintaince zone then have more time to recomp. Generally I would have someone reach this desired zone in no more than 2 months. Everyone is different but if you say you tolerate well carbs then you shouldn’t have any problems and shouldn’t gain a significant amount of body fat.

Wish you success my man, KEEP GRINDING!

I think you are on the right track with your reverse dieting according to your goals of staying within 7 lbs of contest weight. To do that you as going to have to be extremely strict and your increases are going to have to be extremely slow and extremely minimal over time. I don't see a problem with your carb intake. I keep mine on the higher side as well, but I respond favorably to that level. It's all about knowing your body and you seem to have a very good handle on yours.

Top Bottom