Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Random 44'isms: Training

44YOGearHead

So lately I've been watching quite a few training videos by Phil Heath, reigning 6x Mr. Olympia, because we're the same height, share certain dimensions and I have managed to hit the same off season body weight he's had at previous points in his career. I've taken a lot out of these training videos and learned quite a bit, nothing epic, but something nonetheless. I've always been a proponent of using heavy weight, but he has taught me the difference between regular expectation heavy, fairly heavy, really heavy and stupid heavy. Really heavy is the ideal point as it is controllable throughout, but above what most will lift at, or are capable of lifting at. Mass demands heavy lifts point blank. However that heavy MUST be controlled, that is a focal point that I have prioritized within my training.
Intensity... we all up it, but we up things to within reason as our mind always seeks homeostasis sadly. Just a couple of months ago I upped my intensity levels within the gym ad my body adapted fairly quickly. Time for version 2 of upping the intensity levels. As of now I have no set number of reps/sets per say and am basing everything off of feel and common sense based upon my decades of experience good and bad. Talk about making ugly faces... the burn, emphasis on full ROM throughout and drop sets is crucial. The adjustments I have made thus far are phenomenal and undoubtedly will yield better results in my physique. I feel so much fuller and I have adjusted my meals to compensate for the changes in training as well. I look forward to seeing changes in girth and look over the next six months and year. It's crazy how we can change seemingly small things that can make huge differences.

I been watching some of his videos as well. Phil has definitely grown on me. I used to really not care for him but he is becoming one of my favorites... at least top 10. No denying the dude has an amazing physique, but I like his change in attitude. He's a bit humbler, at least in more recent videos.

I watch a lot of his arm videos. Dudes got some intense arms. I agree with you in terms of intensity and weight used.

I've watched his videos as well. I've also enjoyed watching videos by Jay Cutler.

Both seem to speak very intelligently about body building. I've learned a LOT from both and have gotten great motivation from them. I'm nowhere near their size but that doesn't matter to me... It's not how much you lift, but how well you lift it. Probably the most valuable thing I've taken away from Jay Cutler is that mind-muscle connection - really feeling the body part you are trying to target... Using that body part primarily to do the lift and concentrating that effort. Good form, proper volume, and this mind-muscle connection made a huge difference in the effectiveness of my workouts - particularly chest and back where most exercises involve a compound movement.

Such great stuff!

I like the dude even when he was a bit cocky. I thought it was more of a head trip to psych ppl out for Mr. O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom